Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Mantissa Response

After reading the first half of John Fowles' Mantissa I had mixed emotions. I enjoy reading the book because I think the way it is written and the subject matter makes it easy to read. With that said I found myself being confused a little as to what was going on with the other characters, how they disappear and are what he desires them to be in the second half. 

Dr. M then explained to us that the character in the second portion is his muse and that made everything seem to fit into place with one another.

As far as a passage that I would connect to an idea or theory, I found a line that the character who is with Miles Green in the second portion.  The character says "Nothing's real until you see it on television". This quote got me thinking, and I believe that there is truth to this statement.

This quote coincides with Baudrillard's ideas of Simulacra/Simulacrum and the Hyper real. What I think this quote is saying is that the character, Miles Green, only assumes things are real once he sees it on television, the object or idea is not real until it is seen on television.  I think this correlates to the idea of the Hyper real. From my understanding of Simulacra/Simulacrum and the Hyper real. The Hyper real is your experience mediated through simulation. For example, a person can watch a movie that contains a sex scene and that is what they think it is like, so once they actually engage in the act in real life, they are living their experience through the simulated one in the movie.

With that said I think that the quote is saying that our authentic experiences are not justified until we see them in front of us as a simulation.

1 comment:

Mae Dupname said...

I also thought that quote was interesting. In today’s culture, television depicts an exaggerated and glamorized version of reality. Television presents everything as real even if it is exaggerated, so we accept what we see as our reality. We begin to think that if television depicts our reality then if it’s not on television it’s not real. Television is the medium through which we engage with other parts of the world. Today, many people don’t believe that something has happened unless they see it on the news. Great post!